Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Celebrate Today

My favorite place in the world is my family's lake cottage. My grandparents starting building it themselves in 1950 and for me, that's what makes it so special. It's not a house they just bought, they put themselves into it and did all the hard work. You can see my Grandpa's shovel marks in the basement wall, there's a story behind why the ceiling panel with the most knots is above the stairwell, and I know that every nail is equally spaced and put there by my Grandpa. The cottage is my best connection to my Grandparents. My second favorite place is being on the lake. Every memory I've made on the lake is a good one. I remember being pulled behind the boat with my Dad when I was three, my Dad teaching me to ski, and the summer I refused to touch the bottom of the lake because I was scared of fish. The lake is where I get to spend quality time with my Dad.
So when My Mind's Eye had a sketch challenge with the theme of "Celebrate Today", I knew I wanted to make the page about the lake. How a perfect day up there is me driving the boat, my Mom as the spotter, and my Dad still discing and doing 360's.
Here's a detail of the stitched sun. I've put a sun on a scrapbook page before and my favorite part is the little buttons. It's funny to think how a year ago I didn't know how to use buttons and now they're on 80% of my pages. You can also see a close up of my Dad discing. It's even the same disc my Grandpa cut and varnished at least 40 years ago, maybe longer.
The "celebrate" I cut from cork using the QuicKutz font 'Winter Wishes' and the circle letters are from the 'Fine and Dandy' line by My Mind's Eye. Mixing fonts is one of my favorite things to do.

No comments: